Saturday, January 24, 2015

Time Travel to Manila


Saturday, December 27th 

When I walk into Art’s office after running last minute errands in preparation for our trip, Art is reading the news online.  He tells me that an Asia Air plane traveling between Indonesia and Singapore carrying 162 passengers has just gone missing and is presumed down.  Just three months back the Malaysian airliner 370 vanished with 239 passengers onboard traveling between Kuala Lumpur and Beijing. I want to pretend that this doesn’t concern me, but it does and a dark cloud hovers in my subconscious as I pack for our upcoming trip.
                                                                                                                              
Sunday, December 28th 

I wake at 6:30 A.M. with a list of unfinished tasks spinning in my head.  Our flight to Bali with a stopover in Manilla leaves tonight at 9:30 P.M.  For two early morning hours, I sit at my wax station to put the finishing touches on my new Wave Wrapture Ear Wrap.  It is a quiet, meditative time, detailing the wax and sipping coffee.  The remainder of the day is a blur of pre-travel tasks.  Alisha will be taking care of the Marty Magic business in our absence and throughout the day, I write notes to her and enter time related tasks into her calendar.  I check and re-check trying to remembered everything - passports, flight information, hotel conformations, dive cards, travel insurance and credit cards.

Alisha waving goodbye

At 3:00 P.M. Alisha arrives to drive us to the Santa Cruz Metro station where we will begin our trip commuting to the S.F.O airport. John is somewhat under the weather, much of it self-imposed from a late night gathering with his friends. A cream cheese bagel, purchased from the bus kiosk settles his stomach and after many parting hugs and kisses, Art, John and I board the Highway 17 bus to take us to Deardon Amtrak Station.  Alisha waves cheerfully goodbye, but my heart aches knowing that she would love to accompany us on this adventure. With two children in school and the Marty Magic business to attend to, she is staying home. 
Amtrak Train to S.F.O. 

John however is on winter break from S.F.S.U. through the end of January. At Deardon Station we catch the train to Millbrae where we transfer to Bart for the 10 minute trip to S.F.O. International.  The train rumbles along the industrial side of the upscale Peninsula cities in the fading light. John is coming alive, recovering from last night’s excess and feeling excited about our trip. He checks his phone to see if his grades have been posted and he Hi-Fives us announcing that he has two A’s; one in Limnology and the other in Biological Oceanography. His other grades are not posted yet but Art and I congratulate him on his success

No comments: