Sunday, June 19, 2016

From Pirates to Romans

Saturday, June 18, 2016

Just three days ago, Alisha, John, Jackie and I were selling Marty Magic jewelry at the NorCal Pirate Festival in Vallejo California. 
Alisha & John, Brotherly & Sisterly Love at the NorCal Pirate Festival


Brother and Sister Love, NorCal Pirate Festival
After hours with Marty Magic




The following blog posts are about our month long trip to Italy, Croatia and Amsterdam.  Although we had fun, the trip was not a vacation but rather a marathon of visiting world-class museums and archeological sights. Most days we were up early and out late and the family dynamics of the three of us traveling together were sometimes challenging. The trip was artistically rich and visually inspiring and I feel creatively recharged for my busy fall and holiday season.

The Get Away - Tuesday, June 21 

I am leaving the Marty Magic business to take a trip to Italy, Croatia and Amsterdam. My husband Art, our son John and I will be away close to a month and I must pass the Marty Magic baton into the capable hands of our daughter Alisha. Today is a frenzy of list checking. Alisha and I cross reference orders, check inventory and plan for the month ahead.  I fit ear cuffs to be shipped in my absence and sign checks to keep the business afloat until mid July. This past Sunday night, Alisha, John and I returned from the Nor Cal Pirate Festival, and I unpack Pirate costumes and do laundry so as to use the same suitcase to pack for my European adventure.  As the washing machine whirls, I make a dash to the bank, pick up the pre-ordered Euros and swing into AAA and in less than 20 minutes, have my international driving permit. The AAA representative asks me to check the permit and verify that all the information is correct? My scary mug shot stares back at me and I wonder if any car rental agency would rent this woman a car?


At 5:30 P.M. we load our minimal luggage into Alisha’s SUV for the drive to the S.F.O. airport. There is little traffic winding North on Hwy 17 and the afternoon sunlight bathes our route with a magical glow and we realize that it is the Summer Solstice, the longest day of the year. We stop for dinner at Andale’s Mexican Restaurant in Los Gatos, and John jumpstarts his vacation with an immense Cadillac Margarita. Art and I are more moderate and Alisha our designated driver is abstinent. We enjoy a family meal together and relax into our vacation.  The traffic is light along 280 and Alisha drops us at the S.F.O. Airport Vagabond Inn a little before 8:00 P.M. After parking lot hugs and kisses, Art, John and I head to our room and Alisha makes the return drive to Santa Cruz.

No comments: