Monday, February 12, 2007

Biking for Beetles

Biking for Beetles

Art takes off on his bicycle early to get a hair cut and to pay for the internet wireless card that he “purchased” for me yesterday. I am able to connect to the internet thanks to this amazing card but yesterday Art wasn’t certain that it would work in our apartment and Willcom allowed him to take the card home and try it before paying. (Art just told me that Tadashi “signed” for him, but this company preferred that Art make sure it works first, rather than issue a refund.)

Shortly after noon the three of us take off by bicycle following Hwy 58 N. in search of a shop that supposedly sells Rhinoceros beetles. The weather is perfect. The skies are bright blue and there is a cool breeze. The temperature is about 75 and there is no haze or smog. Peddling along the sidewalks paralleling Hwy. 58 is not scenic, but it is interesting as we ride between one city and the next. We take a break to walk on the snow white sands of Tropical Beach by the Okinawa Convention Center in Ginowan. The Yokohama Stars, a professional Japanese baseball team are doing their winter training on the sand. I have my first chance to dip my feet into the clear turquoise waters. I think we should go to the Zamami Islands tomorrow and take advantage of this incredible weather.

We continue riding north along the busy highway stopping at several pet stores and garden shops that carry beetles. At each stop, Art inquires about other stores that might have beetles. We peddle on and on. All that we can find is beetle larva. There are several places that have the Rhinoceros Beetles, but they are still in larva state. I am trying not to be squeamish, but this larva is about 4” long, seemingly translucent and with leg “buds.” They will mature in May or June. John is very disappointed.

Around 4:30 P.M. we turn around and peddle back towards home. We stop at Urasoe City and call Tadashi. He and his wife Shoko live near by and we find that we are invited to his parent’s home for dinner. We have stayed with his parents on other trips, but I was not expecting this and I am hot and tired and wish that I had with me, the small gifts that I brought from home. We always feel welcome here. We meet Tadashi’s and Shoko’s new baby, Rinka, for the first time. He is 2 ½ months old and beautiful! Holding Rinka makes me miss my grand daughter, Molly, all the more. We sit on the floor and eat small dishes of freshly cooked vegetables, homemade soup, homegrown potatoes and spam. I am very much at home, very full and very tired. After dinner and much conversation, Tadashi loads our bicycles into his father’s van and drives us home to our apartment.

No comments: