Wednesday, January 20, 2016

Baja Road Trip - Ceviche

Sunday - January 17th - San Jose

John and Will plan to go spear fishing this morning and Will asks me to buy limes so he can make ceviche.

Preparing to go Spear Fishing
Preparing to go Spear Fishing

















I go into town to look more closely at two opals I spotted at during Thursday night’s Art Walk.  I spend 30 minutes looking at four different stones, narrow my choices down to two, show the owner, Ruben my business card and discuss realistic prices, not tourist prices with him. I still need to think about this purchase and getting the amount of money needed from the ATM will take two or three days depending on the maximum withdrawal limit at the Santander ATM.  Unfortunately, it being Sunday, many of the other shops are closed, including the Silvermoon Folk Art Gallery so I will need to come back another day to do my opal and souvenir shopping. I drive to Mega for supplies and a man approaches me with a bucket, soap and rags. There are several entrepreneurial men washing cars while their owners shop and it is just 60 pesos and our car is very dirty. I agree and tell him I will be back in 30 minutes. He does a good job and I pay him 100 pesos. 

Will has given me a shopping list that includes limes for the ceviche he hopes to marinate this afternoon. If John and Will can go forth and spear fish, I can go forth and spear limes and beer.

I drive the new paved highway back home and indeed Will has speared a fish and while Will squeezes the tiny hard limes I have captured into a bowl, chops onions and cubes the fish, Art reads ceviche recipes to him off the internet. 

Will’s ceviche tastes very good; accompanied by the Zacatitos sunset and enhanced with margaritas. 


Ceviche Sunset

Will's Ceviche

Will and John
We have diner at home and John, Will and I play cards by solar light.

No comments: