Saturday, January 16, 2016

Baja Road Trip - Zacatitos to the Organic Market

Saturday, January 9th, Zacatitos to the Organic Market

I make the coffee and Will cooks egg, veggie and cheese breakfast burritos. He is a good cook and seems to enjoy it and I agree to be the clean up crew, a job that I don’t mind. After breakfast, we drive a few kilometers south on the coast road to the Cinema in the Sand arroyo.  There are already nearly 15 people working and we all jump in. I grab a rake and begin to rake the debris from the sand and John and Will and Art gather up handfuls of the rubble and take to the burn pile. Happily, within a few minutes I am assigned the job of repainting the Shipwreck, Cinema in the Sand Sign. Moes hands me a small paint brush and I go to work darkening the already crudely painted letters. It’s much easier than raking the sand. Men hammer and string lights and soon it is time to paint the screen. This is another rather fun project and takes no time with 4 paint rollers. Within an hour the screen is ready to be erected and everyone’s muscle power is needed. I tell Moes that I don’t have good upper body strength and he tells me to video tape the erection. The boys are each given Cinema in the Sand T-shirts and we are off to town. We drop Art at the house first and John drives the dirt road into San Jose.

Cinema in the Sand Work Day

Tyler, Cinema in the Sand
















Cinema in the Sand Work Day

We drive to the Organic Market which is bustling. This is the prime time for the market and the boys are delighted with the scene. Music plays and kids twirl and wiggle their hula hoops. We stroll the many tiny craft stalls, buy a few vegetables and order lunch from two of the food stalls. John orders a carnitas torta for himself and a chicken torta for me but they run out of chicken so we have one carnita and one cactus torta. The cactus torta is not my favorite, but interesting.

San Jose's Organic Market

San Jose's Organic Market


We run our other errands; the A.T.M, picking up the laundry and a trip to Mega where we stock up on supplies. They don’t have the tequila I am looking for or carry Grand Marnier so we go to Europa where I hope to buy a special AƱejo tequila but they are sold out. I buy Grand Marnier and John buys a cheap tequila in a very pretty bottle which actually proves to be quite nice. We make a stop for gas on our way home and drive the highway back home.

Burros and Bananas
Burros and Bananas

















John and Will spend the afternoon skim boarding and enjoying the Zacatitos beach. I write and putter in our beach bungalow, Art takes a desert ride on his fat tire bicycle and the burro’s visit me and I feed them banana’s from the compost. At 5:30 we drive over to Max and Nancy’s to watch the sunset and meet their family. They are just returning from Cabo San Lucas, having picked up their kids after a night in the party town. We sit on their upper back patio, watch the sunset and share one of the good bottles of wine we have brought. Margaritas, appetizers and good conversation make for a lovely sundowner experience. Although we are invited to stay for dinner, we decline and head to Zac’s for their all you can eat Fried Chicken dinner. Zac’s is happening tonight and we sit outside at a table by the bar and introduce John and Will to our friends.  

No comments: