Sunday, January 24, 2016

Baja Road Trip - Mexican Train

Wednesday - January 20th - Zacatitos - Organic Market 

Today is my last full day in Zacatitos. John, Will and I fly back to San Jose California, tomorrow afternoon. Art will stay here another month and I plan to fly down for a week over Valentine’s Day, but I need to get back to work. I am recharged and have new designs bursting in my head, waiting to take form. 

Art and I wake early and although we don’t take a sunrise beach walk we have a quiet and contemplative start of the day together, sipping coffee on our front deck overlooking the Sea of Cortez. Our “boys” are still sleeping on the roof of our simple concrete bungalow. After three weeks of both traveling and living with Will, a college friend of our son John, he feels like a part of our family. 

Waiting Dog at the Organic Market
Zacatitos Organic Market - Zita and Raoul



Jose, Marshall and Sube




















At 8:30, Art and I walk the quarter mile to to Zacatitos’s Wednesday morning organic market.  Last Wednesday, we ordered six chile rellenos from Zita and Raoul and we pick them up and choose other fresh produce from their baskets of organic vegetables. We have invited several neighbors over tonight for sundowners and a light supper. Breakfast is available, inside the tiny concrete kitchen and Art and I share a plate of three mushroom “dorados.” We sit in the tiny cluttered courtyard and visit with our friends and neighbors. Before walking home, I purchase three beaded pendants from the artisan and his wife who come to our small market. I will  give these to my “team” back home who have been taking care of the Marty Magic business in my absence. 

Zacatitos Sunset
John and Will go skim boarding at “Shipwrecks” and we lend them our Toyota 4 Runner to drive the rocky dirt road up the East Cape. They return several hours later, reporting a stellar day of skim boarding.  Unfortunately, their afternoon spear fishing expedition off Punta Gorda does not provide us dinner. 

Max, Nancy, Art



Friends and Neighbors

Shortly after 5:00 P.M; our friends, Nancy and Max drive up. Marshall, our friend and neighbor next door joins the party and we spoon guacamole and tuna onto chips, sip wine and margaritas and converse watching the sunset over the Zacatitos mountains. After the sunset glow is over, I warm the chile rellenos over our butane stove in two flying pans and we eat by solar light. We play several games of Mexican Train and call it a perfect evening.

Mexican Train 

No comments: